Tuesday, May 13, 2008

p-land

portland is a city that values artistic expression. it is a fun city to look at, and to experience with the other four senses as well. image is esteemed highly here, and appearance. things seem to be evaluated quickly here in terms of their immediate surface characteristics. i wonder what the image of God might look like here. we visited imago dei, a christian community in the hawthorne district, and the physical image of that community looked similar to the local environment. the spirit of jesus was strong there, however, and the character and nature of God was far more striking than any physical attributes of the church. they seem to know how to use the medium of this place to convey the truth without allowing the medium itself to be the end. art is a means to the end of highlighting the great beauty of our creator, whose beauty, while manifest physically, is far deeper and more enduring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally dig the video. I wish I could give you a hug!

Anonymous said...

oh...and on the spiritual side, I really like the way you said "they seem to know how to use the medium of this place to convey the truth without allowing the medium itself to be the end." I imagine that is an awesome thing to experience.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Humboldt! I sing the praise of the United States Postal Service! Above all, I celebrate you expeditious explorers extaordinaire! Your path to enlightenment reminds me of my own path to retirement in that they both lead from one place to another. A bit of wisdom from one traveler to another: enlightenment is simply laughing so hard you have to spit your beer out all over the floor. The floors been too damn dry since you've left.

Anonymous said...

I've read about this community in various places and has been one I would really like to visit some day. I look forward to hearing more about your travels.